Thursday, September 13, 2007

Water Dog, bottled

After three weeks in the fermenter (no secondary), the porter is bottled. While sanitizing, I soaked the filter on the starter for my siphon and improvised with a paper towel instead. As with the red, I put aside the first bottle for posterity's sake. We managed just over 4 gallons this time. I attribute the lower volume to spilling some on the floor during the transfer to the fermenter, as well as leaving behind the bulk of the trub. Most of the beer found its way in to 10oz Pop Shoppe "Stubby" bottles we found at an antique store in San Juan Bautista, CA, and the rest into pint or larger bottles.

I highly recommend a bottle tree for those that don't have a lot of space.

Numbers updated in the recipe post. FG and ABV: 1.012, and ~5%, respectively.

Smells good, I'll let you know how it tastes in a couple weeks. We have big plans for the next brew. It's time to make our own recipe. No mashing yet, though.

No comments: