Sunday, September 30, 2007

Take 20 or so down, pass them around...still lots of bottles of beer in the closet

The first of the porters that I tried tasted absolutely awful. Somewhere between pennies and ash. In hopes that it was maybe just a bad bottle, I tried another the next night. Not bad. This one actually tasted like a porter, so I had no problem bringing a dozen or so to a party last night. Everyone had positive things to say about it, which is good. I think I got another dud, but it may have been the food I was eating. One guy said it smelled like burning tires but tasted pretty good. I think that's fair, although I'm pretty sure that's just what hops and black patent smell like.

In the end, I'm happy with it but might tweak the recipe some if I make it again...push it a little closer to a stout and rack to a secondary fermenter, perhaps.

No comments: