Saturday, July 24, 2010


As mentioned in the last post, I like Kai's Brezel recipe. It works. I used baking soda, and after rereading the directions, I realized that my first two batches came out weird because the baking soda solution needs to be hot to get the action needed.

Kai is metric, here's US for you:

4 C flour
1 C water
1 Tbsp dry malt extract (table sugar if you don't have it...but it won't be the same)
2 tsp salt
2 tsp butter
1 tsp yeast

4 tsp baking soda
2 C water

Saturday, July 17, 2010


Update 8/11 - Tapped, a few bottles prepped for comps. Gelatin is amazing. A little gritty in the first pour, but is brilliantly clear now!
Update 8/4 - Kegged. Trying gelatin as a fining agent. It's pretty cloudy now since I missed the clarifier during the boil and haven't been seeing great cold breaks lately. This might be going to competition, and it might not be. We'll see.

I've been meaning to brew an altbier for a while. It's essentially a German amber ale. Clean, dry, yet still malty and complex. This recipe is inspired by the Kaiser Alt recipe over at I saw Kai speak at the AHA conference and in checking out his website found the recipe (and one for Brezels!). I've also wanted to try a decoction just to see how it turns out. Lucky me, Kai's all about traditional German technique, and his recipe recommends a step mash with a single decoction at mash out. So here we go.

Batch #62
Altbier (Kaiser Alt)
--8lbs Munich
--1lb CaraMunich
--1.5oz Carafa II
--2oz Hallertauer 4.2%AA (60min, pellet)
--1/4 tsp gypsum (mash)
--WLP008 East Coast Ale
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.012
ABV: 4.7%
IBU: 25

Mashed in to 132°F, held 20m. Raised to 149°F, held 45m. Decocted ~40% of mash and boiled for 20m (heat slowly to a boil, ~5°F/m). Returned decocted portion to main mash to hit 168°F, held 10m. Collected 7.25 gallons wort. Boiled 70m, chilled to 64°F and pitched yeast.