Sunday, September 14, 2008


Halloween's a-comin', so here's one of the draft beers for that. I revised the recipe from last time. The main goal was to use fresh sugar pumpkin. Fresh pumpkin was located...after I started the mash. I scaled back the amount of canned pumpkin under the assumption that I'd find the fresh stuff in time to secondary for a bit before kegging. This one should actually taste like pumpkin. I also toned down the spice and added some chocolate malt for color and maltodextrin for body. Still f-ing terrible efficiency on this one, though.

Batch #22
Old Pumpculiar v1.5
--8 lbs 2-Row American Pale Ale Malt (RAHR)
--1 lb Flaked Wheat
--2/3 lb Crystal 75L
--1/8 lb British Pale Chocolate
--4 oz Maltodextrin (60min)
--8 oz Cane Sugar (15min)
--8 oz Molasses (15min)
--45 oz Canned pumpkin (in mash)
--1/2 fresh pumpkin (15min)
--1/2 fresh pumpkin (in primary)
--1 oz Glacier 6% AA (60min)
--0.5 oz Willamette 4.6% AA (15min)
--Whirlfloc (15min)
--1.25 tsp pie spice (15min at flameout)
--White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast (1.1L starter)
OG: 1.046
FG: 1.007
ABV: 5.1%
Calc. IBU: 27

Single infusion, 1hr at 150F. Collected 6.5 gallons of wort with an efficiency of under 60%. Rargh. No idea what's up with that, seeing as I pulled 75%+ on the blackberry a couple weeks ago. Fresh pumpkin was split in half (goo and seeds removed) and baked face down at 300F long enough to soften the flesh. Pie spice was 2 parts cinnamon to 1 part each of cloves, allspice, nutmeg, and ginger.

No comments: